Supporting 125,000 Americans waiting for organs – priceless.
- April 15: volunteer entry deadline (2/team required)
- April 15: raise $1200/team for ORU and Rotary will provide required 2 volunteers.
Volunteers make it happen
If any runner or walker lives within 50 miles of the course, two volunteers, age 16 or older, must register by April 15 and fulfill a 4-5 hour shift (thank you – even at 2 am – ouch!) or the team will be disqualified. Volunteers are welcome to participate without a team affiliation (extra thank you). When finished, happy volunteers frequently request to participate again.
Research indicates volunteering/serving others increases life satisfaction/happiness more than pleasure or accomplishment. Increase your happiness by bringing your special talent to GGR.
Volunteer Registration Essentials
- Register before April 15. Select your team from the drop down list (visible after entry fee is processed). Choose unaffiliated if not affiliated with a team (extra thank you).
- Assignments are made as volunteers register. Shifts disappear when filled.
- Volunteer assignments are listed by location/shift time. S (Start), Exchanges 1-35 (Google course map for address), ColA-D (Canada College cafe), F (Finish).
- Volunteers may change a shift from shifts available in the drop down list.
- Assist your captain in creating a fundraising page to tell your team story.
Pre GGR (Wed pm, Redwood City): load trucks.
Start Set up (Fri, Napa): booths/banners/goody bags.
Start (Sat, Napa): staff booths/clean/load trucks.
Exchanges 1-35 (Sat, Napa to SF; Sun, SF to Santa Cruz): ensure safety as below.
ColA-ColD (Sat evening to Sun morning, Canada College cafe): cook/serve/clean.
Finish (Sun, Santa Cruz): set up/staff booths/cook/serve/clean/load.
Post GGR (Mon, Redwood City): unload trucks, clean.
Exchange volunteers make it safe
- Think safety (wear provided reflective vest). Expect distracted driving.
- Instruct participants to stay off road and away from Exchange.
- With no road closures, traffic control or aid stations, participants and drivers must obey the CA Vehicle Code. Volunteers may not direct traffic.
- Record rule/safety violations on phone, view instructions.
- Assist Active Vans (waiting for incoming runner/walker) to exchange parking. Do not allow vehicles to obstruct road shoulders forcing participants into traffic.
- Resting Vans (no active runners/walkers) may only park in Exchanges 6, 12, 18, 24, 30.
- Request quiet at night near residential areas.
- Clean Exchange. Encourage Trashing the Competition, Not the Course.
- Be safe, make it fun, be happy. Thanks for contributing.
- Bring: hat, phone (to record rule violations), snack, sunscreen, sunglasses, water
- At night add: flashlight, hat (reduces glare of headlights), jacket
- DO NOT BRING: Alcohol, Children, Headphones, Pets
- Provided: reflective vest, cones (for Exchange area), trash bags, potty or bathroom, thank you gift